Watermelon is a plant of the melon family. As well as cantaloupe, melon, cucumber, etc., varieties that may be well known such as Jintara. Most watermelons are sweet. The bark is streaked green. The flesh may be red or yellow depending on the species. Considered a juicy fruit, watermelon is popular for hydrating or cooling off. Watermelon also contains a variety of nutrients and may also have health benefits such as reducing the risk of cancer and diabetes, helping to prevent dehydration . Helps to nourish the heart, however, watermelon should be consumed in the right amount. Because if it’s too much, it can negatively affect health, for example, causing the risk of high blood sugar.
nutritional value of watermelon
According to data from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) published in 2019, 100 grams of ripe watermelon contains 91.4 ml of water, provides 30 kilocalories of energy and contains various nutrients. the following UFABET
- Carbohydrates 7.55 grams
- Sugar 6.2 g (divided into 3.36 g fructose, 1.58 g glucose, 1.21 g sucrose and 0.06 g maltose)
- 0.61 grams of protein
- 0.4 grams of fiber
- Fat 0.15 g
- Potassium 112 mg
- Magnesium 10 mg
- Vitamin C 8.1 mg
- Vitamin A 28 mcg RAE
In addition, watermelon also contains a variety of vitamins and minerals such as iron, zinc, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B3, vitamin B5, vitamin B6, folate, choline, carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin. especially lycopene Which has antioxidant properties that help protect cells from being damaged by free radicals until premature deterioration And may lead to cancer, heart disease, diabetes , etc.
Watermelon is rich in nutrients that are beneficial to health. It has scientific research that supports its therapeutic and prophylactic properties. and health promotion of watermelon as follows:
- Reduces the risk of dehydration
Watermelon is known as a juicy fruit. Because it is about 90% water, for example, 100 grams of ripe watermelon contains 91.4 ml of water, and eating foods that contain a lot of water may help keep the body hydrated. resulting in various systems of the body to function normally, such as regulating body temperature Transportation of nutrients to various organs It also helps the body to stay awake. and reduces the risk of dehydration
- May Help Reduce Cancer Risk
National Cancer Institute The United States reveals that free radicals are harmful to the body. can destroy tissues and cells or make various components of the cell such as DNA, proteins, cell membranes Deterioration and deterioration before age Resulting in serious diseases such as cancer, but if the body has enough antioxidants May help balance free radicals within the body. and reduce the risk of developing such diseases
Watermelon contains antioxidants such as lycopene and cucurbitacin E, according to one study on the relationship of lycopene to cancer risk published in the journal Medicine ( Baltimore) United States As of August 2015, a research review, analyzing and summarizing data from more than 2,300 other relevant studies found that regular consumption of the cancer-fighting lycopene may reduce the risk of cancer. prostate cancer incidence This is because lycopene may help reduce levels of IGF-1 (IGF-1), a hormone that has a similar structure to insulin. and causes cells to divide When this hormone is reduced It may help inhibit the division and growth of cancer cells.
May help relieve muscle pain
Watermelon contains an amino acid called citrulline, which may help relieve muscle soreness and improve exercise performance. By one of the research of the Faculty of Pharmacy. Goryeo University South Korea published in the Chinese Journal of Sport and Health Science in February 2020, which looked at the relationship between citrulline and blood lactate levels. fatigue and muscle soreness after exercise with a review method analyze data and summarized data from 13 relevant studies involving 206 participants. Help reduce fatigue and muscle soreness after exercise for real Without affecting the level of lactate in the blood, which lactate (Lactate) is a kind of acid that the body will release when exerting a lot. The higher the lactase It will have a detrimental effect on the muscles. causing pain tired muscles
Precautions when consuming watermelon
Although watermelon contains nutrients that are good for health. But if you eat too much It can have negative effects on health, such as
- Causes problems in the digestive system such as abdominal pain, distension, flatulence, gas in the stomach, diarrhea, especially in people with irritable bowel syndrome and acid reflux disease because watermelon is a fruit rich in carbohydrates that cannot be digested and absorbed in the body. in the digestive tract, such as fructose
- It can raise your blood sugar level. Because watermelon has a high glycemic index or glycemic index. After eating, it can cause blood sugar fluctuations or a rapid increase. As a result, it is more difficult to control blood sugar levels. especially in diabetic patients or at risk of diabetes
- Eating watermelon can cause allergies. which can be observed from symptoms such as hives, swollen lips, swollen face, difficulty breathing if such symptoms are found You should stop eating watermelon and see your doctor immediately. If left untreated, it can lead to a severe allergic reaction that can be life-threatening.